DuTy^

Ubuntu for Android Will Bring the Desktop to Your Phone.

ubuntu-logo-5224884.jpg

It's long been known that Canonical has set its sights on mobile devices as the next destination for its popular Ubuntu Linux operating system, and on Tuesday the company took the next big step in that direction by announcing Ubuntu for Android.

Designed to coexist with Android on users' multicore smartphones, the new version of Ubuntu is designed to launch the full Ubuntu desktop when the phone is docked with a keyboard and monitor. The rest of the time, the phone runs Android as usual.

All data and services are shared between the Ubuntu and Android environments, so Android data and applications such as contacts, telephony, and SMS/MMS messaging are accessible from the Ubuntu interface.

“The desktop is the killer app for quad-core phones in 2012,” said Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth in the Canonical announcement. “Ubuntu for Android transforms your high-end phone into your productive desktop, whenever you need it.”

I had a chance to speak with Canonical CEO Jane Silber on Monday about the new Ubuntu flavor, which will be demonstrated at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next week. Here are some of the highlights of what she told me.

'Ubuntu Remains Free'

Also from Canonical, of course, we've just recently seen the debut of a version of the free and open source Ubuntu Linux tailored for businesses as well as one for TVs. A tablet version is expected too.

Silber didn't have any news to share on the tablet side this week, but she said that Canonical's ultimate goal for Ubuntu is to deliver a “compelling and consistent” user experience across form factors, extending naturally from its desktop roots.

“We think Ubuntu continues to be the best alternative for manufacturers worried about vendor lock-in,” she told me. “Canonical's business model is, Ubuntu remains free, and we provide services to users and industry.”

As a longtime Ubuntu fan, I have to admit I'm especially excited by the prospect of having my Ubuntu desktop available on my phone, wherever I go. How about you? Is this something you think will be useful?

Source and more details: Ubuntu for Android Will Bring the Desktop to Your Phone | PCWorld Business Center

Nu mi se pare deloc o idee stralucita ,in plus iti mai trebuie sa "conduci" si un quad core .

Chiar nu ii vad rostu la inventie,sincer nici tabletele nu le vad cu ochi buni ,dar aici totul depinde de cerintele consumatorului .

Si ca tot a venit vorba de smartphoneuri' quadcore Huawei anunta ceva frumos: Quad-core Huawei Ascend D1 Q press shots surface - GSMArena.com news