vasile.dickulescu

How to Remote Control your Linux Disto from your Smartphone

We have seen Android apps that lets you remotely control Banshee, VLC, Amarok etc. But how about a more holistic approach? Linux Remote Control aka LRC is a WebApp that turns any device with a web browser (that has HTML5 support) into a full-fledged remote control for systems that run any Linux based distros. Tested it on Ubuntu 13.10 and I have to say I'm impressed! Here's how you install and setup Linux Remote Control in Ubuntu.

linux-remote-control-howto-ubuntu.jpg

How to install and setup Linux Remote Control in Ubuntu?

• Download the LRC deb package and install it. For that, simply follow the steps below in your Terminal. Instructions here are specifically for Debian based distros like Ubuntu.

sudo apt-get install node nodejs-legacy
wget http://www.linuxremotecontrol.com/lrc.deb
sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/lrc.deb
sudo apt-get install -f

• The fourth command above is optional. Run it only if the second line resulted in some error. Done. LRC installation is complete.
  • Now, you need to move the "lrc-client" directory to your phone (can be your external memory card as well). For that, open Nautilus as root first ("sudo nautilus" in Terminal).

linux-remote-control-ubuntu-installation.png

• Cut-paste the "lrc-client" directory to your phone. Afterwards, start the LRC service in your Ubuntu by using the following command.

node /opt/lrc-server/lrc.js

• And finally, launch the lrc-client from your phone. Goto the "lrc-client" directory in your external SD card (which you copy-pasted earlier) and launch the index.html file in your favorite browser (Firefox beta for Android in my case).

linux-remote-control.png

• For me, the functionalities that worked perfectly include the brightness level adjuster, shutdown/restart buttons as well as lock/unlock buttons, and multimedia pause/stop/play buttons. Things that worked not-so-well include the touchpad controls and some aspects of multimedia controls. More info and instructions here. Thanks for reading.

@sleed pai Ubuntu este creat pe baza Debian, ceea ce inseamna ca ambele folosesc pachetele "apt" deci nu vad de ce ar fi probleme :)

OFF: Doar ca o mic? corectare: pachetele de pe Debian ?i orice distribu?ie bazat? pe acesta sunt deb (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deb_%28file_format%29). Apoi, ca sistem de management al pachetelor - low level ai dpkg (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dpkg), iar cele high level (APT, aptitude, synaptics) se bazeaz? pe acesta. Deci APT e o interfa?? care se bazeaz? pe dpkg, care e un sistem de management al pachetelor deb. :)

Edited by bcman
  • Upvote 2