Aerosol

Facebook Malicious Extension Malware Analysis

Section 1: Introduction
1.1 Overview
Lately, a new malware has been seen spreading on Facebook.Facebook is an online social networking
service which had over 1.3 billion active users as of June 2014. At that moment, three different
variations and spreading methods have been observed. According to the samples that have been
acquired,there are three quick campaigns that had been launched. There are some similarities on the
way the malware achieves that huge amount of infected victims with a combination of pre-registered
domains in the role of C&C server.
1.2 Background
? close friend of mine, who specialize in social media marketing and management, called me late at
night requesting my help. He was terrified about the fact that most of his friend on Facebook platform,
have been posting status with strange links.Having really a strong interest in malware researching, I
decided with a friend to fully understand the process of infection and spreading.

Read more: http://dl.packetstormsecurity.net/papers/general/facebook_malware.pdf