mundy.

How to paint yourself into a corner (Lenovo edition)

The information security news today is all about Lenovo’s default installation of a piece of adware called “Superfish” on a number of laptops shipped before February 2015. The Superfish system is essentially a tiny TLS/SSL “man in the middle” proxy that attacks secure connections by making them insecure — so that the proxy can insert ads in order to, oh, I don’t know, let’s just let Lenovo tell it:

“To be clear, Superfish comes with Lenovo consumer products only and is a technology that helps users find and discover products visually,” the representative continued. “The technology instantly analyses images on the web and presents identical and similar product offers that may have lower prices, helping users search for images without knowing exactly what an item is called or how to describe it in a typical text-based search engine.”

Whatever.

The problem here is not just that this is a lousy idea. It’s that Lenovo used the same certificate on every single Laptop it shipped with Superfish. And since the proxy software also requires the corresponding private key to decrypt and modify your web sessions, that private key was also shipped on every laptop. It took all of a day for a number of researchers to find that key and turn themselves into Lenovo-eating interception proxies. This sucks for Lenovo users.

If you’re a Lenovo owner in the affected time period, go to this site to find out if you’re vulnerable and (hopefully) what to do about it. But this isn't what I want to talk about in this post.

Instead, what I’d like to discuss is some of the options for large-scale automated fixes to this kind of vulnerability. It’s quite possible that Lenovo will do this by themselves — pushing an automated patch to all of their customers to remove the product — but I'm not holding my breath. If Lenovo does not do this, there are roughly three options:

Lenovo users live with this and/or manually patch. If the patch requires manual effort, I’d estimate it’ll be applied to about 30% of Lenovo laptops. Beware: the current uninstall package does not remove the certificate from the root store!

Microsoft drops the bomb. Microsoft has a nuclear option themselves in terms of cleaning up nasty software — they can use the Windows Update mechanism or (less universally) the Windows Defender tool to remove spyware/adware. Unfortunately not everyone uses Defender, and Microsoft is probably loath to push out updates like this without massive testing and a lot of advice from the lawyers.

Google and Mozilla fix internally. This seems like a more promising option. Google Chrome in particular is well known for quickly pushing out security updates that revoke keys, add public key pins, and generally make your browsing experience more secure.

It seems unlikely that #1 and #2 will happen anytime soon, so the final option looks initially like the most promising. Unfortunately it's not that easy. To understand why, I'm going to sum up some reasoning given to me (on Twitter) by a couple of members of the Chrome security team.

The obvious solution to fixing things at the Browser level is to have Chrome and/or Mozilla push out an update to their browsers that simply revokes the Superfish certificate. There's plenty of precedent for that, and since the private key is now out in the world, anyone can use it to build their own interception proxy. Sadly, this won't work! If Google does this, they'll instantly break every Lenovo laptop with Superfish still installed and running. That's not nice, or smart business for Google.

A more promising option is to have Chrome at least throw up a warning whenever a vulnerable Lenovo user visits a page that's obviously been compromised by a Superfish certificate. This would include most (secure) sites any Superfish-enabled Lenovo user visits -- which would be annoying -- and just a few pages for those users who have uninstalled Superfish but still have the certificate in their list of trusted roots.

This seems much nicer, but runs into two problems. First, someone has to write this code -- and in a hurry, because attacks may begin happening immediately. Second, what action item are these warnings going to give people? Manually uninstalling certificates is hard, and until a very nice tool becomes available a warning will just be an irritation for most users.

One option for Google is to find a way to deal with these issues systemically -- that is, provide an option for their browser to tunnel traffic through some alternative (secure) protocol to a proxy, where it can then go securely to its location without being molested by Superfish attackers of any flavor. This would obviously require consent by the user -- nobody wants their traffic being routed through Google otherwise. But it's at least technically feasible.

Google even has an extension for Android/iOS that works something like this: it's a compressing proxy extension that you can install in Chrome. It will shrink your traffic down and send it to a proxy (presumably at Google). Unfortunately this proxy won't work even if it was available for Windows machines -- because Superfish will likely just intercept its connections too :(

So that's out too, and with it the last obvious idea I have for dealing with this in a clean, automated way. Hopefully the Google team will keep going until they find a better solution.

The moral of this story, if you choose to take one, is that you should never compromise security for the sake of a few bucks -- because security is so terribly, awfully difficult to get back.

Sursa: A Few Thoughts on Cryptographic Engineering: How to paint yourself into a corner (Lenovo edition)