prodil89

What's Next for Metasploit?

The open source Metasploit framework is a popular way for security researchers to conduct penetration testing for security analysis. It's also a project undergoing a number of transitions.

For one thing, there's a new Metasploit version on the way that sports new features, including improved social engineering testing tools. But there's also the transition from a purely open source project to an effort that must balance the needs of its open source community with the commercial requirements of its new Metasploit Express proprietary product.

At the center of these transitions is HD Moore, the researcher who founded the Metasploit project.

Since Metasploit's acquisition by security vendor Rapid7 in 2009, Moore has served as chief security officer at his new employer while continuing to work on the framework. During that time, he's overseen Metasploit's expansion, which most recently has included embracing new commercial aspirations with Metasploit Express. For Moore, the move to Rapid7 has been a boon for both himself and the Metasploit project as it presses ahead with new features.

"The only slight distraction is that some of my time is split between other responsibilities at Rapid7 and not so much on the code itself," Moore told InternetNews.com. "I'm spending 50 percent of my time on developer-only time, but I do have to work in other areas including working with sales -- but it's still so much more time than I've ever been able to spend with Metasploit that I can't complain.

More.....

[url=http://www.esecurityplanet.com/news/article.php/3896811/Whats-Next-for-Metasploit.htm]What's Next for Metasploit? - www.esecurityplanet.com[/url]