FiliBlox

Tutorial [TUT] DDoS Attack - A life lesson

Introduction

I will not be posting all steps take too long.

Recent events that have gone on have inspired me to inform people of the dangers of DDoS.

Like the art of hacking by Social Engineering, their is no anti-virus for DDoS. The only cure is knowledge. Informing the people is the only way to keep it from happening to them. Or a nice firewall

I know their are a lot more ways to DoS than are shown here, but i'll let you figure them out yourself. If you find any mistake in this tutorial please tell me.

What is "DDoS"?

Denial of Service attacks (or Distributed Denial of Service attacks(DDoS) are a form of organized attacks with the goal of taking down a server by overloading it. Often by sending useless information (packets) to a server in massive amounts.

In-fact about a year ago I found one of my websites was accidentally DoS-ing because my PHP script made an infinite loop that sent the same information over and over and over into SQL databases. This one page took this EXTREMELY powerful server down twice in less than a minute. That site has since been deleted.

That story demonstrates that it does not take more than a simple "error" in your code to overload a server.

Keep in mind that altough spreading knowledge is my main goal, performing DDoS attacks is indeed a federal crime in the US.

It is also an international offence and will be punished according to the local laws of the individual's country.

But enough talk. I will now show you a quick example of a DoS attack of sorts you can do on your local computer.

Example

Keep in mind that this is NOT a real DoS attack, but rather an example to visualize how a DoS attack works.

We will take down YOUR computer.

Step 1 Open up notepad, mousepad, or your favored equivalent.

Step 2 Type in this simple batch command

Code:

:a

start

goto a

Step 3 Save as "dossample.bat" making sure you select "All files" from the "File Type" dialog.

Step 4 Run that sucker, but save your work first, as this will crash even the best computers in a matter of minutes.

What did you learn from this?

Observe how the file rapidly replicates itself, opening a new CMD right after it opens another.

An infinite loop has been created that has filled the RAM with useless and massive amounts of CMDs (or Terminals for you Unix folk)

DDoS attacks work much the same way, except instead of replicating an infinite number of CMDs, they send information(packets) to the server over and over and over again until the server crashes.

What information you may ask?

Anything. Your login name, your 'online' status, a new comment, the number of views on a video, your new high score. Absolutely any information that could be resent a massive amount of times to the same server.

Next we will be discussing the simplest form of DDoS.

Low-Orbit Ion Cannon

LOIC | Host: SourceForge | Size: 130kb

Step 1

Download and extract LOIC

Step 2

Open LOIC.exe and fill out the required information.

loiic.jpg

Instructions for filling out:

IP or URL = IP or URL that you wish to DoS

TCP / UDP message = information being sent, just write something random. Or leave it as default.

Port = Server's port

Method = Server's Method, leave as TCP if unknown

If you are gonna try to take down a website then use HTTP

Speed = set to "<= faster"

Threads = How many users it should simulate, the higher the number the faster it will crash. Set to 10,000. Note that this might make your computer lag, if so, set to a lower amount.

Step 3

Click on "IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER"

This starts your the program.

Warning: This tool might not seem like much, but many people of all ages have been arrested and convicted for knowingly using this tool. Remember DoS and DDoS are federal crimes, however insignificant it may seem. Use at your own discretion.

Now you know what a DDoS attack is and you can work to better protect your self.

Their are still many other ways to attack a server, but these are the basics of DoS.

Protect your servers xD

Like any web developer I hope you will use this information for the good.

Sadly i know that their are those amongst us that are, even now as we read this, plotting how to do harm with this information.

To those, I flip the bird.

You may use this tutorial, in part or as a whole, for whatever purpouse.

source: Elite