Nytro

Every Windows 10 in-place Upgrade is a SEVERE Security risk

Monday, November 28, 2016

Every Windows 10 in-place Upgrade is a SEVERE Security risk

This is a big issue and it has been there for a long time. Just a month ago I finally got verification that the Microsoft Product Groups not only know about this but that they have begun working on a fix. As I want to be known as a white hat I had to wait for this to happen before I blog this.

There is a small but CRAZY bug in the way the "Feature Update" (previously known as "Upgrade") is installed. The installation of a new build is done by reimaging the machine and the image installed by a small version of Windows called Windows PE (Preinstallation Environment). This has a feature for troubleshooting that allows you to press SHIFT+F10 to get a Command Prompt. This sadly allows for access to the hard disk as during the upgrade Microsoft disables BitLocker. I demonstrate this in the following video. This would take place when you take the following update paths:

• Windows 10 RTM --> 1511 or 1607 release (November Update or Anniversary Update)
  • Any build to a newer Insider Build (up to end of October 2016 at least)

The real issue here is the Elevation of Privilege that takes a non-admin to SYSTEM (the root of Windows) even on a BitLocker (Microsoft's hard disk encryption) protected machine. And of course that this doesn't require any external hardware or additional software. It's just a crazy bug I would say :(

Here's the video:

Why would a bad guy do this:

1. An internal threat who wants to get admin access just has to wait for the next upgrade or convince it's OK for him to be an insider
  2. An external threat having access to a computer waits for it to start an upgrade to get into the system

I sadly can't offer solutions better than:

• Don't allow unattended upgrades
  • Keep very tight watch on the Insiders
  • Stick to LTSB version of Windows 10 for now

I am known to share how I do things myself and I'm happy to say I have instructed my customers to stay on the Long Time Servicing Branch for now. At least they can wait until this is fixed and move to a more current branch then. I meet people all the time who say that LTSB is a legacy way but when I say I'm going to wait a year or two to get the worst bugs out of this new "Just upgrade" model - this is what I meant…
Posted by Sami Laiho at 6:14 PM 

Sursa: http://blog.win-fu.com/2016/11/every-windows-10-in-place-upgrade-is.html

• Upvote 1