Nytro

Protecting your Android App against Reverse Engineering and Tampering

Protecting your Android App against Reverse Engineering and Tampering

Apr 2 · 4 min read

I built a premium (paid) android app that has been cracked and modded. Therefore, I started researching ways to secure my code and make it more difficult to modify my app.

Before I continue, You cannot mitigate these issues or completely prevent people from breaking your app. All you can do is make it slightly more difficult to get in and understand your code.

I wrote this article because I felt that the only sources of information just said that it was nearly impossible to protect your app, just don’t leave secrets on the client device. That is partly true, but I wanted to compile sources that can actually assist independent developers like me. Lastly, when you search “android reverse engineer”, all the results are for cracking other peoples apps. There are almost no sources on how to protect your own apps.

So here are some useful blogs and libraries which has helped me make my code more tamper-resistant. Several sources that are less popular have been mentioned in the list below to help you!

This article is geared towards new android developers or ones who haven’t really dealt with reverse engineering and mods before.

Proguard:

This is built into android studio and serves several purposes. The first one is code obfuscation, basically turning your code into gibberish to make it difficult to understand. This can easily be beaten, but it is super simple to add to your app so I still recommend implementing it.

The second function is code shrinking, which is still relevant to this article. Basically, it removes unused resources and code. I wouldn’t rely on this, but it is included by default and worth implementing. The only way of actually checking if it changed anything is by reverse engineering your own APK.

Dexguard:

A tool that isn’t free, but made by the same team of Proguard. I haven’t used it myself, so can’t recommend it.

It includes everything that Proguard has and adds more features. Some notable additions are String and Resource Encryption.

Android NDK:

Writing parts of your app in native code (C or C++) will certainly deter people from reverse engineering your app. There are several downsides to using the NDK, such as performance issues when making JNI calls and you can introduce potential bugs down the line that will be harder to track. You’ll also have to do the garbage collection yourself, which isn’t trivial for beginners.

PiracyChecker:

A popular library on github with some basic ways to mitigate reverse engineering. I included this in one of my apps, but it already has been cracked. There are multiple checks you can run, including an implementation of the Google Play Licensing Check (LVL). This is open source, so you can look at his code and contribute too!

I am using Google Play app signing, so couldn’t actually use the APK signature to verify that I signed the app, or even google did ;(

Google’s SafetyNet Attestation API:

This is an amazing option, though I haven’t tested it thoroughly. Basically, you call Google’s Attestation API and they can tell you if the device the app is running on is secure or not. Basically if it is rooted, or using LuckyPatcher for instance.

Deguard:

This was a website that I stumbled upon. You upload an APK file, then it uses some algorithms to reverse what proguard does. Now, you can open classes, sometimes with full class names too! I used this to pull some modded versions of my app and see what has been changed more or less. There are manual processes to achieve similar results, but this is faster and requires less work.

http://apk-deguard.com/

Android Anti-Reversing Defenses:

This blog post explains some great defenses to put up against hackers/reverse engineering. I suggest reading it and implementing at least one or two of the methods used. There are code snippets too!

Android Security: Adding Tampering Detection to Your App:

Another great article, also with code snippets about how to protect your app. this piece also includes great explanations about how each method woks.

https://www.airpair.com/android/posts/adding-tampering-detection-to-your-android-app

MobSF:

I heard about this from an Android Reverse Engineering Talk I wa swatching on YouTube. They mentioned this amazing tool in passing. I have never heard of it before but decided to go ahead and test it out. It works on Windows, Linux, and Mac. In short, you run this locally -> upload an APK (no AABs yet), and it analyses it for vulnerbilities. It performs basical checks and shows you a lot of information about an APK, like who signed the cert , app permissions, all the strings, and much more!

I had some issues installing it, but the docs are good and they have a slack channel which came in handy.

https://github.com/MobSF/Mobile-Security-Framework-MobSF

Overall, there are several ways to make your app more difficult to crack. I’d recommend that your app should call an API rather than do the checks locally. It is much easier to modify code on the client rather than on the server.

Let me know if I missed anything, and if you have more ideas!