begood

Fixing An LCD Screen Scratch

The LCD screen is quite fragile compared to its more robust (and ancient) couterpart: the CRT (cathode ray tube). You’d be surprised at how little effort it takes to scratch an LCD screen (yes, this is what I do on those cold lonely nights). Fortunately, there is some treatment you can administer to your poor wounded monitor.

Described below are two methods that I’ve found effective: a temporary fix that will need readdressing at a later point in time, and a more permanent solution that requires more work.

The Lazy Person’s Guide To Fixing An LCD Screen Scratch

1. Dilute some isopropyl alcohol with water (about 50/50). Use a cloth to clean the LCD screen with this solution. If you wear glasses, you’ll know that cleaning with toilet paper or paper towels is a definite no-no. These abrasive surfaces will scratch your glasses, so you can imagine the effect they would have on your delicate LCD screen.

2. Fill cracks with vaseline.

3. Gently wipe off the surplus vaseline around the crack.

The James Bond Approach To Fixing An LCD Screen Scratch

1. Dilute some isopropyl alcohol with water (about 50/50). Use a cloth to clean the LCD screen with this solution. If you wear glasses, you’ll know that cleaning with toilet paper or paper towels is a definite no-no. These abrasive surfaces will scratch your glasses, so you can imagine the effect they would have on your delicate LCD screen.

2. Apply some auto rubbing compound to the scratch.

3. Polish the affected area with soft felt until flat. Doing this actually removes the anti-glare coating in the affected area.

4. Clean the area.

5. Take a piece of paper and cut a 5,, hole in the centre.

6. Using the paper as a stencil, spray clear lacquer through the hole and onto the affected area.

7. If the scratch is long, move the paper to cover its entire length.

8. Allow to dry, following the lacquer’s instructions.

9. Enjoy your vodka martini (responsibly).

Both these methods have worked for me in the past, but friends of mine have also recommended using Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

Fixing An LCD Screen Scratch