pyth0n3

QuickZip Stack BOF 0day: a box of chocolates

07 March 2010

offensive-security.com

A few days ago, one of my friends (mr_me) pointed me to an application that appeared to be acting somewhat “buggy” while processing “specifically” crafted zip files. After playing with the zip file structure for a while (thanks again, mr_me, for documenting the zip file structure), I found a way to make the application crash and overwrite a exception handler structure.

In this article, I will explain the steps I took to build an exploit for this bug. All I’m asking from you, the reader, is to try not just to read this post and take my steps and decisions for granted. Read it, and think about what you see, and try to think about what you would do to fix a certain issue. Whenever a new problem arises, try to see if you can find the solution yourself before continuing to read.

In this post, I have placed a few markers. These markers indicate the moment when you should stop reading for a while and think about the current situation, the current questions and issues, and what YOU would do to overcome those issues.

continue ...Leaders in Online Information Security Training QuickZip Stack BOF 0day: a box of chocolates