Nytro

Stack Based Windows Buffer Overflow Tutorial

Stack Based Windows Buffer Overflow Tutorial

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Introduction

One thing I have always maintained is that aspiring or practicing penetration testers who use an exploitation product (such as CANVAS, Core Impact, Metasploit) should know how buffer overflows actually work. Having this knowledge will help you understand the circumstances under which these products can work, will help you troubleshoot when things don't work and will correct unrealistic expectations about what the products are capable of.

In addition, being able to reproduce buffer overflow exploits will also give you the tools to more accurately assess the risk of discovered vulnerabilities as well as to develop effective countermeasures for exploits out in the wild. These are important skills for incident responders and for those attempting to protect their networks.

To this end, I am going to write a series of tutorials on how to write buffer overflows. This is the first entry in this series, and it will cover how to recreate a simple stack based buffer overflow in the Windows application MiniShare 1.4.1. MiniShare 1.4.1 is an older version of the MiniShare application and the vulnerability we will be attacking has been patched in the current version of the application. While this vulnerability could probably be considered out of date, it does provide a very good example of a simple stack based buffer overflow, which makes it ideal to use in a beginners buffer overflow tutorial such as this.

In this tutorial I am going to focus exclusively on the practical skills needed to exploit buffer overflows, and I won't go into any uneccessary details on the theory of how they work, or how buffer overflows can be discovered. There are many other resources available on buffer overflow theory, and I will cover off on the vulnerability discovery angle in a later post.

Update: Blog reader Mark has created a video version of this tutorial, so if you like videos with your tutorials, check it out. It can be found here.

Warning! Please note that this tutorial is intended for educational purposes only, and you should NOT use the skills you gain here to attack any system for which you don't have permission to access. Its illegal in most jurisdictions to access a computer system without authorisation, and if you do it and get caught (which is likely) you deserve whatever you have coming to you. Don't say you haven't been warned.

Tutorial:

http://grey-corner.blogspot.com/2010/01/beginning-stack-based-buffer-overflow.html