Nytro

Stack Based Buffer Overflow Tutorial - Part 1,2,3

Stack Based Buffer Overflow Tutorial, part 1 — Introduction

March 9th, 2011|By: Bradshaw Stephen

Introduction

This tutorial, in three parts, will cover the process of writing a simple stack based buffer overflow exploit based on a known vulnerability in the Vulnserver application.

Vulnserver is a Windows server application with a number of exploitable vulnerabilities deliberately engineered in, and was designed to act as a target application to teach and practice basic fuzzing, debugging and exploitation skills. More information on Vulnserver, including a download link, is available here:

The Grey Corner: Introducing Vulnserver

This tutorial covers how to confirm that a particular type of stack based overflow vulnerability is exploitable, as well as how to actually develop the exploit. The process of discovering vulnerabilities however is not covered in this tutorial. To learn one method by which such vulnerabilities can be discovered, you can check out a previous Vulnserver related article on fuzzing, available here:

An Introduction to Fuzzing: Using fuzzers (SPIKE) to find vulnerabilities |  InfoSec Resources

Fuzzer Automation with SPIKE |  InfoSec Resources

This tutorial will also assume that the reader has a reasonable level of skill in using the OllyDbg or Immunity Debugger debugging applications, as well as a basic knowledge of X86 assembly language. For those who are new to these debuggers, or who may feel they need a refresher in assembly, the required skills are covered in the following links:

Debugging Fundamentals for Exploit Development |  InfoSec Resources

OllyDbg Tricks for Exploit Development |  InfoSec Resources

System requirements and setup

The following software is required to follow along with this tutorial:

A 32 bit Windows System. I would suggest sticking to reasonably recent windows desktop systems such as Windows XP SP2 and up, Windows Vista or Windows 7, as these are the systems that I have personally tested. Windows 2000 desktop and server based systems may also work, but there are no guarantees.

Vulnserver on your Windows system. You can obtain information about the program (which should be read before use) and download it from here: The Grey Corner: Introducing Vulnserver

OlldyDbg 1.10 on your Windows system. You can also use Immunity Debugger if you prefer, but just keep in mind your screenshots will appear slightly different to mine. OllyDbg can be obtained here: OllyDbg v1.10

An instance of the Perl script interpreter. You can run this on either your Windows machine or on a Linux attacking system. Linux systems should already have Perl preinstalled, but if you want to run it on windows you can obtain a Perl install for free from here: ActivePerl is Perl for Windows, Mac, Linux, AIX, HP-UX & Solaris | ActiveState

A recently updated copy of Metasploit 3. You can again run this on either your Windows machine or on a Linux attacking system, although I recommend running it on a Linux system. See the following paragraphs for more detail. If you run BackTrack 4 R2 for an attacking system, as suggested below, Metasploit is included. Otherwise Metasploit can be obtained for Windows and Linux from here: Metasploit Framework Penetration Testing Software | Metasploit Project

My personal setup while writing this tutorial was to execute Metasploit commands and run my exploit Perl scripts from a Linux Virtual Machine running BackTrack 4 R2. This means that command syntax provided in this document will be for Linux systems, so if you are following along on Windows you will have to modify your commands as appropriate. I have chosen to run Metasploit and Perl from Linux because components of the Metasploit framework can be broken by many of the common Anti Virus solutions commonly installed on Windows systems. In addition, firing up a BackTrack VM which already includes Metasploit and Perl can be much quicker than manually installing Perl and Metasploit on your Windows system, especially if you already have a BackTrack environment handy.

If your Windows system is running a firewall or HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System), you may need to allow the appropriate traffic and disable certain protection features in order to follow this tutorial. We will be creating an exploit that makes Vulnserver listen for shell sessions on a newly bound TCP port, and firewalls and possibly HIPS software may prevent this from working. Certain HIPS software may also implement ASLR, which could also be problematic. Discussing firewall and HIPS bypass techniques is a little beyond the scope of this tutorial, so configure these appropriately so they don’t get in the way.

I am also assuming for the purposes of this tutorial that your Windows system will not have hardware DEP enabled for all programs. The default setting for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 is to enable hardware DEP for essential Windows programs and services only, so unless you have specifically changed your DEP settings your system should already be configured appropriately. See the following links for more information:

Data Execution Prevention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A detailed description of the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and Windows Server 2003

My Windows Vulnserver system will be listening on the address 192.168.56.1 TCP port 9999, so this is the target address that I will use when running my Perl scripts. Make sure you replace this with the appropriate values if your Vulnserver instance is running elsewhere.

Part 1:

http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/stack-based-buffer-overflow-tutorial-part-1-%E2%80%94-introduction/

Part 2:

http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/stack-based-buffer-overflow-tutorial-part-2-%E2%80%94-exploiting-the-stack-overflow/

Part 3:

http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/stack-based-buffer-overflow-tutorial-part-3-%E2%80%94-adding-shellcode/