M2G

Using Burp to exploit a Blind SQL injection

Many times I find myself having to write my own tool in order to exploit a Blind SQL Injection which public tools normally would not be able to exploit. It may be because it is behind a WAF/IDS, or for a SQL challenge, or because it is Base64 encoded or some other peculiar situation where normal SQLi attack tools just will not work.

What I will demonstrate in this post is a way of taking a shortcut and avoiding having to create your own program by using Burp Suite which will hopefully save you valuable time. I highly recommend Burp for anyone that is serious about pen-testing. The Pro version is very affordable and has a great ton a features which makes auditing a breeze (the easter egg is hilarious too).

Once a target has been set in the scope and a SQL Injection has been located, we send the URL to Burp's Intruder.

send_to_intruder.png

Next step is to define the SQL Injection and the position where the character to be brute-forced will be. For this example, I will be extracting the database().

define_position.png

After setting the position, we need to define the payload. We select numbers as our payload and define a range from 32 to 126. If you look at the Ascii table, this range accounts for all the characters that we need.

[img[http://www.websec.ca/img/burp-sqli/define_payload.png

The last step before launching the attack is to set a string to be matched when the query returns true, just like you would with any other SQLi tool. In this case, the string to be matched will be 'lightos'.

search_response.png

Now we can go to the menu under Intruder and select Start Attack. This will open a window that will display the results from each request. When the string is matched, it will clearly be displayed and that will indicate which is the correct character.

search_results.png

he string was successfully matched on number 84, which is the decimal representation of the letter T. This is the first letter of database(), which value is Test.

I have included the following video to better demonstrate the process:

Burp Suite

Sursa