Nytro

Sniffing GSM with HackRF

[h=3]Sniffing GSM with HackRF[/h]by admin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:29 am

I will open by saying only sniff your own system or a system you have been given permission to work on, Sniffing a public network in your country may be illegal.

I recently had a play with sniffing some gsm using the HackRF, The clock was a little unstable and drifted quite a bit but in the end I was able to view lots of different system messages etc. I will assume you have a working linux system with gnuradio and hackrf running for this turotial, If not you can use the live cd which I referenced in the software section of the forum its a great tool and the hackrf works right out of the box.

First thing to do is find out the freq of a local gsm tower for this I used gqrx which is pre loaded on the live cd, open it up and have a look around the 900mhz band and you should see something like the image below.

file.php?id=4&sid=8df99b83e3e7acac671c24fb95f57f17gqerx.png (274.82 KiB) Viewed 6938 times

You can see the non hopping channel at 952Mhz and another at 944.2Mhz write down the approximate frequency for the later step.

Now we need to install Airprobe using the following commands.

git clone git://git.gnumonks.org/airprobe.git

cd airprobe/gsmdecode

./bootstrap

./configure

make

cd airprobe/gsm-receiver

./bootstrap

./configure

make

Thats all there is too it we can now start recieving some gsm first things first start wireshark with the following command:

sudo wireshark

Select "lo" as the capture device and enter gsmtap in the filter window like in the image below:

file.php?id=5&sid=8df99b83e3e7acac671c24fb95f57f17wireshark.png (66.89 KiB) Viewed 6938 times

Now go back to your terminal window and enter the following:

cd airprobe/gsm-receiver/src/python

./gsm_receive_rtl.py -s 2e6

A window will pop up and the first thing is to do is uncheck auto gain and set the slider to full, then enter the gsm frequency you noted before as the center frequency. Also select peak hold and average in the top windows trace options like so:

file.php?id=6&sid=8df99b83e3e7acac671c24fb95f57f17spectrum.png (109.9 KiB) Viewed 6938 times

You will see that only signal on the right (blue line) consitently stays in place over the peak hold (green line) indicating that it is the non hopping channel, All we need to do to start decoding is in the top window click on the center of that frequency hump. You may see some error coming up but that is ok eventually it will start to capture data something like this:

file.php?id=7&sid=8df99b83e3e7acac671c24fb95f57f17data.png (225.52 KiB) Viewed 6938 times

You can now see the gsm data popping up in wireshark, as I said at the beginning the hackrf clock does drift so you will need to keep clicking to re-center the correct frequency but all in all it works pretty good. As silly as it may sound wraping your hack rf in a towel or similar really helps the thermal stability of the clock and reduces drift. Now this "hack" is obviously not very usefull on its own but I think atleast it helps to show the massive amounts of potential there is in the HackRF.

Sursa: BinaryRF.com • View topic - Sniffing GSM with HackRF