Usr6

Text Decoder Toolkit

Here’s a challenge for you, what does this decode to?

T{4 G=C 9<=E B63 3<3;G /<2 9<=E G=C@A3:4^ G=C <332 <=B 43/@ B63 @3AC:B =4 / 6C<2@32 0/BB:3A` {4 G=C 9<=E G=C@A3:4 0CB <=B B63 3<3;G^ 4=@ 3D3@G D71B=@G 5/7<32 G=C E7:: /:A= AC443@ / 2343/B` {4 G=C 9<=E <37B63@ B63 3<3;G <=@ G=C@A3:4^ G=C E7:: AC11C;0 7< 3D3@G 0/BB:3`T _ !C< "HC^ "63 s@B =4 %/@

I was asked by a couple of folks to help them decode this (this isn't the exact string but it's similar). This was from a CTF and they couldn't figure it out. The challenge already ended so they just wanted to learn how to tackle stuff like this in the future. Unlike the real world, there is often an accompanying script or program that decodes this. You hardly encounter an encoded string and then asked to figure it out cold.

CTF pros could probably do this faster than 10 minutes but that's how long it took me with Calculator and Notepad. I should have used a spreadsheet. After I was done, I thought I would write a program for myself to see if I can decode strings like this much faster.

So how do you even start decoding this? I came up with three methods but I'm sure there are other, better ways.

Method #1 - Character Frequency

Click on the "Statistics" tab then click on the "Get Stats" button. This will count the number of times each letter appears in the script. You see that 3 and = are the most common characters (besides the space).

2015-11-17_01.png

Using this as a guide we know that the most common English letters are E T A O I N S H R . Let's see what the difference is between 3 and e. Enter those values in the "Difference" section and click on the "Calculate Difference" button. I get "50".

2015-11-17_02.png

Now click on the "Decoder" tab, enter the value "50", choose "Character Shift" then click on "Decode". Looks like we partially decoded it.

2015-11-17_03.png

Method #2 - Enumeration

The second method dumps a text file that enumerates through all of the possible values. Choose the "Enumerate to File" action and the "Character Shift" operator.

2015-11-17_04.png

Examine the resulting file and look for clues. I searched for "the" and found multiple hits but the one at line #50 looks promising. The line #50 means that the character shift value of 50 was used.

2015-11-17_05.png

At this point you can go to the Decoder tab and do a character shift with a value of 50 like we did above.

Method #3 - Distance Calculator

The number of characters between two letters will be the same as long as the XOR or character shift value remains constant.

For example,

The character distance between the letters h-e-l-l-o is -3, 7, 0, and 3 (i.e. the difference between h and e is -3, between e and l is 7, and so on). If we shifted "hello" with a value of 10, the resulting string is "rovvy" and the distance between r-o-v-v-y is still -3, 7, 0, and 3.

On the "Statistics" tab, you can search for "the" or any other word that has three or more characters and the toolkit will try to find the same character distance in the input string.

2015-11-17_06.png

Custom Substitution Table

The three different methods revealed the character shift value of 50 as our starting point but we still have some undecoded text to contend with.

2015-11-17_07.png

In the output box, it looks like the third character is "f" so the preceeding character might be "I" as in "If". There's two other instances so it looks probable but let's test this theory out.

Going back to the "Statistics" tab, I highlight a character that should be an "I" then click on "Get Highlighted Char". The program will extract the corresponding characters from both the input and output boxes.

In this example, I think that the left curly brace should be a capital "I" so I make that change then click on the "Calculate Difference" button. I get "-50".

2015-11-17_08.png

So it looks like we have two different character shift values. How would I decode using two values? I need to remap characters and I also need to display the ASCII table so I can visually determine what to map. The "Custom Substitution Table" is what I came up with.

If you enter a value on the header row, the values will be copied down the column. If you need to enter a value for a specific character, just enter it into the appropriate box. In this example, the space character in the input string was being shifted to "R". I want to leave this alone so I enter "0" in the "032 - SPC" box.

2015-11-17_09.png

You can download the program here. If this program is used outside of CTFs, I would really like to know

Sursa: Text Decoder Toolkit | Kahu Security

• Upvote 1