Fi8sVrs

Satellite: A Payload and Proxy Service for Red Team Operations

• Active Members

Satellite is an alternative to Apache and Nginx for payload hosting as well as an alternative to Caddy for C2 traffic redirection. I focused on making the project feature rich, easy-to-use, and reliable. The source and compiled binaries can be found on GitHub.

During my internship at SpecterOps this past summer, I had the opportunity to sit next to Lee Christensen who gave the idea to pursue this project. He thought it would be a cool idea if an operator could key their payload downloads based on JA3 signatures. I mocked up a basic web server that would only serve requests only if it matched a predefined JA3 signature using CapacitorSet’s ja3-server package as a model. (For those not familiar with JA3, check out the writeup I contributed to Impersonating JA3 Fingerprints). Once I had the skeleton for payload delivery and HTTP proxying, I took on the task of creating a drop-in replacement for Apache mod_rewrite and Nginx. Satellite now has the ability to filter traffic based on the number of times a payload has been served, the User Agent, JA3 signatures, prerequisite paths (which I’ll show off later) and more. Satellite is not intended to provide the flexibility of mod_rewrite, but instead enable easy payload delivery keying with features almost impossible to replicate in mod_rewrite.

Feature Highlights

• JA3 Payload Delivery Keying
  • Request Order Payload Delivery Keying
  • Configurable Payload Lifetime
  • C2 Traffic Redirection (Proxying)
  • Scriptable Request Keying
  • Easy Credential Capture
  • Global Request Filtering

How to Install

As previously mentioned, a large focus of the project was to make traffic keying easy to set up. This extends from usage to installation. The easiest installation method is to use the Debian software package format (.deb) on a Debian based system, which only requires downloading the file and using dpkg to install it. You can use the Installation wiki page to learn how to install Satellite on non-Debian systems.

Route Configuration

In Satellite, a route is the page requested by the user. The content of a route can be configured in the same way one configures a route in Apache or Nginx: put a file in the server root. By default, Satellite uses /var/www/html as the directory to serve files from, but that can be changed in the server config.

Once Satellite is installed and running, you can begin serving pages. The “.info” file is where the magic of Satellite happens. The “.info” file is a YAML file that specifies what special actions should happen when a file is requested. These actions can either be keying options to protect a payload from unwanted requests (a member from the blue team) or directives like on_failure which specifies what should happen to the request if the key does not match.

In addition to serving files, operators can also use the same keying options for traffic redirection using the proxy option. There is a special file in the server_root called proxy.yml which allows users to make a list of routes they’d like to proxy without having to create a dummy file. The proxy file works the same as a normal “.info” file, so the keying options that work on a payload also work with proxying. See the proxy example on GitHub for an in-depth explanation.

I’ll go over a few keying options to solidify the point. First, the serve option allows operators to specify how many times they’d like for a file to be served before it’s inaccessible. This is a useful option when a payload only has one target. When the target downloads the file, the payload is no longer accessible through the web server. Next, is blacklist_useragents. As the name implies, one can blacklist User Agents from accessing a payload. The field matches a regular expression, so an operator can estimate blocking Linux clients by using:

blacklist_useragents:
  - *Linux*

Next, and maybe the most important, is on_failure. This option specifies what happens when a request fails to match a key. I’ll go more in-depth about on_failure in the Server Configuration section.

Prereq Directive

Next, the prereq directive is a really simple way to force requesters to access a set of paths before accessing another. This is useful when an operator uses ClickOnce for initial access. The ClickOnce application will first request the path /<name>/tracker.jpg before accessing ClickOnce.application. Using the prereq directive, an operator is able to deny access to CickOnce.application if they have not requested /<name>/tracker.jpg. For a simple example, if an operator knows their payload will request /a.jpeg and /metadata.json before it finally requests /payload, the operator can use the contents of the following file, payload.info, to only serve /payload once /a.jpeg and /metadata.json have been requested:

prereq:
  - /a.jpeg
  - /metadata.json

The example in the wiki shows how an operator can stack prereqs to force users to request one path after another. There are many ways this could be implemented, so understanding how it works is important.

First, Satellite tracks users based on IP addresses since cookies may not be obeyed by the client. This means that if requesters with the same external IP are requesting pages, Satellite could fail to serve the payload even if one user requested each page in order.

Second, the requests are also matched consecutively limited by the number of paths in the prereq list. This means that if the prereq directive states “access /one then access /two before accessing /payload”, but the user requests “/three, /one, /two, /payload,” Satellite will serve the payload.

Using the same example, Satellite will not serve the request “/two, /one, /payload.” Testing this technique doesn’t work very well on browsers (especially Chrome) because requests are typically performed multiple times for preemptive rendering and caching reasons.

authorized_ja3

Last, authorized_ja3 only allows specific JA3 signatures to access the payload. In my opinion, this is less useful for payload hosting unless you do intelligence gathering beforehand, but is extremely powerful for redirector proxying.

JA3 signatures could stay the same between C2 agents unless it uses the operating system’s HTTP library for making calls and therefore presents varying JA3 signatures. In the case of static C2 agent JA3 signatures, you can key a Satellite route to only communicate with requestors that match a predefined C2 agent’s JA3 signature. This technique is useful to hide characteristics of a backend C2 server and the true purpose of a configured proxy route. For example, during an ongoing IR investigation, an incident responder could pull their proxy\netflow data from your C2 channel and mimic a request to the redirector’s configured route. However, unless they can also identify and replicate arbitrary JA3 signatures (ja3transport), they will not be able to directly interact with the backend C2 server — hiding the true nature of a route and preventing C2 server fingerprinting.

Global Conditions

If an operator has a list of keys they know they want to use for every operation, global conditions can be applied. In the /etc/satellite/conditions/ directory, files will be combined and applied to all Satellite requests. An example and deeper explanation can be found on the wiki.

There are many more options to check out like authorized_countries, prereq, and blacklist_iprange which are listed on the Route Configuration wiki page.

Server Configuration

Out of the box, there is no required configuration in order to start serving pages. Satellite looks in three places to find server configuration: $HOME/.config/satellite/config.yml, $HOME/.satellite/config.yml, and /etc/satellite/config.yml. Once a valid configuration file is found, it validates the configuration settings and starts the server.

Satellite’s server configuration options will be familiar if you’ve used other web servers like Apache or Nginx. For example, the default index, the listening port, and the server header are configurable.

I’ll mention two things which are a bit different than normal web servers.

1. The not_found option has either the subkey of redirect or render. The redirect option will perform a “301 redirect” to a specified site while the render option will perform a “200 OK” render of the page specified.
  2. The not_found option is also the default catch-all when a route does not match a request but does not specify a not_found option itself.

Example

Here is a video of how to use Satellite to key a payload.

Source: https://posts.specterops.io/satellite-a-payload-and-proxy-service-for-red-team-operations-aa4500d3d970

• Upvote 1