Nytro

Windows Hooks of Death: Kernel Attacks through User-Mode Callbacks

[h=2]Windows Hooks of Death: Kernel Attacks through User-Mode Callbacks[/h] Posted by Tarjei Mandt on August 11, 2011

At Black Hat USA 2011, I presented the research that lead up to the 44 vulnerabilities addressed in MS11-034 and MS11-054. These vulnerabilities were indirectly introduced by the user-mode callback mechanism which win32k relies upon to interact with data stored in user-mode as well as provide applications the ability to instantiate windows and event hooks. In invoking a user-mode callback, win32k releases the global lock it aquires whenever making updates to data structures and objects managed by the Window Manager (USER). In doing so, applications are free to modify the state of management structures as well as user objects by invoking system calls from within the callback itself. Thus, upon returning from a user-mode callback, win32k must perform extensive validation in order to make sure that any changes are accounted for. Failing to properly validate such changes could result in vulnerabilities such as null-pointer derferences and use-after-frees.

The slide deck for the Black Hat presentation as well as the accompanied whitepaper, outlines several of the vulnerabilities that may arise from the lack of user-mode callback validation. In particular, we look at the importance of user object locking, validating object and data structure state changes, and ensuring that reallocatable buffers are sufficiently validated. In order to assess the severity of the mentioned vulnerabilities, we also investigate their exploitability and with that, show how an attacker very easily (e.g. using kernel pool or heap manipulation) could obtain arbitrary kernel code execution. Finally, because vulnerability classes such as use-after-frees and null-pointer dereferences have been (and still are?) extremely prevalent in win32k, we conclude by evaluating ways to mitigate their exploitability.

In retrospect, Black Hat USA and DEFCON stands out as one of those great conferences where you get to meet many interesting people and can run into just about anyone. Having spent what now seems like a lifetime in win32k (ok, I may be loosely exaggerating…), meeting one of the past developers of the Window Manager whose code I had torn to pieces (sorry!), was one of those great moments that will be remembered for years to come. I also want to use this occasion to extend my gratitude and thanks to everybody that showed up for my talk. Your feedback is highly appreciated, and I would probably not have been doing this if it wasn’t for you guys. See you on the flipside!

Sursa: Windows Hooks of Death: Kernel Attacks through User-Mode Callbacks | !pool @eax