Nytro

HauHra and Hildr release

HauHra and Hildr releaseHello there,

finally after one of year I’m releasing two new codes. I worked on them originally to contribute to DC issue 6, but things have turned rather complicated with the zine so far. I worked on them on rather exceptional circumstances, almost no available material, bad internet connection, no resources, and worst of all: little computer access and almost no time. After a few setbacks on my original plans, I had to cut them short for simplicity. But they are fit for release. So, with no further delay, here some descriptions.

W32.HauHra (https://github.com/villekulla/Hauhra)

HauHra is my new demo virus using Python code to decrypt itself. The decryptor drops a small python script with a function to xor every item from list object, then loads python24.dll and uses it to load the script, then creates the list object and sets all its items with the encrypted virus’ bytes, and calls the function, the decrypted result is then executed.

The virus finds executable files in the current directory and all subdirectories, and infects them by overwriting reloc data with the decryptor code. The entrypoint is altered to point to the virus code.

Very simple.

W32.Hildr (https://github.com/villekulla/Hildr)

The virus finds executable files in the current directory and all subdirectories, and infects them by overwriting debug data with the decryptor code, and overwriting reloc data with the encrypted virus body. The entrypoint is altered to point to the decryptor code.

How those two came to be

There was an idea that never abandoned me, although for years I was sure to discard it. I remembered it every month, really never could get over it. When I was studying the PE format back in 2009, there was that “debug directory” thing in the Data Directory, I thought it would be nice to overwrite it, since it was just data for debuggers and disassemblers. But then days later I read in a 29A issue the source code of a virus that did just that, I didn’t understand the code at the time, though I tried. So, I simply attempted to discard it, I ended up targeting the certificates data outside the image and thus my first virus came to be.

But again the idea came back a week ago. I connected to the internet and searched for the ezine and that virus specifically, and when I read the source again I noticed a small problem. Its author really wanted to target the debug directory, back in the day it might have been present as a section itself in the file, and went by the name of “.debug”; however, the code was looking for a section named “.deb” not “.debug”. Back then the debug directory wasn’t embedded into the code section as it is today, either. So that was enough reason for me to finally get over it, by writing the code. :)

It’s not really a remarkable technique, it’s Simple. But it would be a mistake to let it go with the same level of simplicity. Some people might have thought before about it, and thought that the debug directory is too small to insert any meaningful code in it. Why let go of the chance? Some of you might remember the virus W32.EfishNC by roy g biv, the decryptor was really tiny and yet proved so hard to detect. EfishNC placed the decryptor by overwriting a function in the host code and patching a call to point to it. While I let go of the chance to make the idea with a more advanced decryption technique, someone else might someday do it. I hope it happens. :)

Hauhra was another thing entirely, I already had done most of the work for it when I wrote Viper - a small experiment that did just the decryption part of some data and displayed it in a message. So, just the replication capabilities were missing. Originally I intended the decryptor to use random operations (xor, add, sub) and keys. I didn’t had a computer available at the time so I wrote the code in a piece of paper (from a bag of croissants!), the code worked fine but there was an error in the garbage collection during the unloading routine. I managed to fix the bug (which was related to the use of the “unsigned” set of APIs, one of them is still present in the code), but I ended up discarding the code in favour of more simplicity.

Ending

Hope you have enjoyed these words and the codes. Working on the codes under exceptional circumstances, has somehow restored my enthusiasm, I’m motivated and full of energy. It is safe to say I’m fully back at virus writing. Now that I’m enjoying a more normalized situation, I have been revisiting projects I left unfinished, I have made a list of the things I’ll try but aim to make codes with more details this time, so don’t expect new releases any time soon. :-/ However! I do plan to update regularly this blog, maybe share some code too. In the next few days I’ll be writing here a series of entries about a powerful very promising file infection technique. :)

If you have anything to ask, the Ask section is available (and it is really anonymous), for feedback or to share ideas and stuff I can be reached via email villekullah@gmail.com

hh86

1 December 2014

Sursa: hh86