Kev

Origami Simulator

crane.gif

This app allows you to simulate how any origami crease pattern will fold. It may look a little different from what you typically think of as "origami" - rather than folding paper in a set of sequential steps, this simulation attempts to fold every crease simultaneously. It does this by iteratively solving for small displacements in the geometry of an initially flat sheet due to forces exerted by creases. You can read more about it in our paper:

All simulation methods were written from scratch and are executed in parallel in several GPU fragment shaders for fast performance. The solver extends work from the following sources:

Built by Amanda Ghassaei as a final project for Geometric Folding Algorithms. Code available on Github. If you have interesting crease patterns that would make good demo files, please send them to me (Amanda) so I can add them to the Examples menu. My email address is on my website. Thanks!

Instructions:

demoui.gif

• Slide the Fold Percent slider to control the degree of folding of the pattern (100% is fully folded, 0% is unfolded, and -100% is fully folded with the opposite mountain/valley assignments).
  • Drag to rotate the model, scroll to zoom.
  • Import other patterns under the Examples menu.
  • Upload your own crease patterns in SVG or FOLD formats, following these instructions.
  • Export FOLD files or 3D models ( STL or OBJ ) of the folded state of your design ( File > Save Simulation as... ).

strain.jpg

• Visualize the internal strain of the origami as it folds using the Strain Visualization in the left menu of the Advanced Options.

huffmanvr.jpg

If you are working from a computer connected to a VR headset and hand controllers, follow these instructions to use this app in an interactive virtual reality mode.

External Libraries:

You can find additional information in our 7OSME paper and this website.

Source: origamisimulator.org

• Downvote 1